- Stunning battery life
- Excellent camera performance
- Attractive matte black finish
- Lightning fast performance
- Stereo speakers
- Worry-free water resistance
- Bright and vivid display
- Ample internal storage options
- Top and bottom bezels are large
- No fast or wireless charging
Similar to how the Galaxy S7 Edge perfected the design and features of the Galaxy S6 Edge, the new Apple iPhone 7 Plus perfects the iPhone 6s Plus design as we look to 2017 when Apple may offer a significant design change.
The Apple 7 Plus brings a faster A10 processor, water resistance, stereo speakers, more RAM, more internal storage capacity for the same prices, best LCD available on a phone, improved front-facing camera, secondary telephoto camera lens, and more battery capacity. These are all welcome improvements found in a familiar shell.
Those in the enterprise looking for a responsive performing phone with wide range of connectivity, very long battery life, ability to withstand the elements, and assurance that updates will come quickly should definitely consider the Apple iPhone 7 Plus.
CNET’s Scott Stein awarded the Apple iPhone 7 Plus an 8.8 out of 10.
- Processor: Quad-core Apple A10 with 64-bit architecture and integrated M10 motion coprocessor
- Display: 5.5 inch LED-backlit at 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution, 401 ppi
- Operating system: Apple iOS 10
- RAM: 3GB
- Storage: 32, 128, and 256 GB internal options
- Cameras: Dual rear 12 megapixel iSight cameras with f/1.8 and f/2.8 aperture, OIS, True Tone flash. 7 megapixel front facing camera with f/2.2 aperture.
- Water resistance: IP67 water and dust rating
- Speakers: Stereo speakers
- Battery: 2,750 mAh battery
- Dimensions: 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm and 188 grams
The iPhone 7 Plus has the exact same length, width, and thickness specification as the iPhone 6s Plus. It is actually 4 grams lighter too, while having a larger capacity battery, more RAM, and another rear camera.
The addition of water resistance is welcome for those times when you accidentally drop your phone in the water, want to use it in heavy rain, or workout with it and have an excessive amount of sweat. You still should not swim with it or attempt to dump champagne all over it as water damage is not covered under warranty and it is not intended for prolonged submergence.
I always found the iPhone to have one of the loudest speakers, which were great for podcasts in the car and speakerphone calls. Apple now has stereo speakers, with the same placement as the HTC 10. Audio sounds great and sharing videos with associates is a better experience with this setup.
Let’s get the headphone jack removal out of the way first since that seems to be the most radical hardware design change found on the new Apple iPhone 7 Plus. While Apple removed the headphone jack, it does provide a Lightning port to 3.5mm adapter in the box to help with the transition. It’s a small adapter and if you are going to be using wired headphones it’s not really an issue to extend your preferred headset a couple of inches by keeping the adapter attached at all times.
Apple also included its standard earbuds in the package, this time with a Lightning port connector on the end of the cables. While it may be a bit inconvenient, if Apple really needed the space inside for a larger battery, water resistance, a second camera, and stereo speakers then I think it was a valid design decision.
The iPhone 7 Plus looks and feels like an iPhone 6s Plus. I am very pleased to see the return of an actual black color as I never really embraced space gray. I bought the matte black one and prefer that over the jet black ones my daughters chose. Unlike my Note 7, I don’t have to wipe the back clean all day as fingerprints don’t show up and the matte black just looks great.