At a event today, Chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, Mukesh Ambani introduced a new offer for new and existing Jio customers called the Happy New Year Offer. The new offer comes after the success of the Welcome Offer which reportedly hauled in a massive 50 million customers for Jio in less than three months of being launched.
The Jio Happy New Year Offer kickstarts from the 31 December 2016. The offer packs in tariffs similar to the Welcome Offer with the daily data cap now reduced to 1GB. The new offer will be valid till 31 March 2017.
While the intent of the Happy New Year Offer was to bring on more subscribers on to the network, existing subscribers of Reliance Jio can also avail of the same. Mukesh Ambani announced that existing users of the Jio Welcome Offer will automatically get an upgrade to the new Happy New Year Offer.
At the announcement, the Chairman of Reliance Industries Limited admitted to some hiccups in the data speeds but also claimed that Jio offered the best compared to any other network out there. Also with the free Welcome Offer in place Jio also happens to handle the largest amount of data compared to other existing operators.
According to PTI’s sources, Jio – setting a new record – has acquired 1,000 customers per minute (since September 05) and 6 lakh per day.
Here are the top points from his address:
* Reliance Jio has 52 million users in less than three months, and the company is adding 6 lakh users per day.
* Reliance Jio grew faster than Facebook, WhatsApp and Skype, according to the chairman.
* According to Mukesh Ambani, the average Jio customer is using 25 times more data than the average India broadband user.
* Reliance Jio says it has the fastest speeds in the country, but admitted some customers faced an issue around this. He said only 92 per cent of their towers were facing congestion, but they will work to resolve the issue with the rest of the 8 per cent towers.
* RIL chairman also blamed the voice-call drop on lack of inter-connect points by other telecos. However, he said the situation was resolving and that the call drop rate has now come down to 20 per cent from 90 per cent before.
* Jio now fully supports MNP and all customers can retain their existing numbers when they migrate to Reliance’s telecom service.
* Jio has introduced home delivery of SIM for their privileged customers who are too busy to go to the store. The SIM is then activated in 5 minutes via the eKYC facility. This service will be available in top 100 cities in India by December 31, 2016.
* Reliance Jio has rolled out 2 lakh eKYC outlets in India, which is more than ATMs in the country. The company is aiming to make this 4 lakh outlets by March.
* Reliance Jio Welcome Offer is extended to March 31, 2017. Jio calls it the Happy New Year Offer. All Welcome Offer users will be automatically signed up to this ‘Happy New Year Offer.’
* The FUP limit (Fair Usage Policy) on the Happy New Year Offer has been revised to 1GB per day, from the initial 4GB per day. After a user exhausts this limit their speeds are reduced to 128Kbps
* Reliance Jio also launched the Jio Money Merchants app, where merchants can sign up and start accepting digital payments from their customers. Jio is targeting 10 million merchants across India with its new app.
Disclaimer: Reliance Jio is owned by Reliance Industries, who also own Network18, the publisher of techmanish